Manchester Friends of the Earth does an excellent weekly e-digest about upcoming events and actions. Here are some clips from the latest one –
Tue 21 Jul: MFOE frack free celebration, Castle Hotel
Join us for a party to celebrate Lancashire’s rejection of fracking, which keeps the UK four years frack free!
When: 7pm onwards, Tuesday 21st July
Where: The Castle Hotel, 66 Oldham Street, Manchester M4 1LE
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/985426138157958/
Sat 25 Jul: The Resilience Festival – solidarity fundraiser, MERCi
This fund-raising festival is being organised by a number of groups including; Migrant Artists Mutual Aid, Lesbian Immigration Support Group, Action for Trans* Health and RAPAR.
Bridge 5 Mill will be filled with music, spoken word poetry, performance, photography, film and children’s activities. There will also be a vegetarian and vegan barbecue and more music and fun in the garden.
When: Noon – 8pm, Saturday 25th July
Where: MERCi, Bridge 5 Mill, Ancoats, Manchester
More info & booking: http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/2889519631
Thu 30 Jul: Screening of Buzz Tour: Change Pollination documentary, Afflecks
Last summer, Eve Carnall decided to don a bee costume and go on a four-month walking tour around England, visiting over a hundred inspiring people and projects from permaculture farms to divestment campaigns, conservation groups to direct action.
Eve has made a documentary about her journey, and is coming to Manchester as part of her Buzz Bike Tour to screen the film and tell us more about what inspired her to go on this journey and what she’s learnt from the experience.
When: 7pm, Thursday 30th July
Where: The Three Minute Theatre, Afflecks Arcade, 35-39 Oldham Street, Manchester M1 1JG
Sat 8 Aug: FOE fracking get-together, Methodist Central Hall
On the afternoon of Saturday 8th August (from 2pm) fracking activists will be getting together to:
– Discuss next steps on keeping the UK frack free – particularly as many more applications are expected to pop up in the near future.
– Share skills on how to fight fracking locally – an invaluable chance to share tips and experiences with other people resisting fracking around the country.
– Find out about the fracking movement fits into broader climate change activism particularly in the run-up to the UN climate talks in Paris later this year.
The event is free, but please register in advance so we know how many to expect.
When: 2pm – 5pm, Saturday 8th August
Where: Methodist Central Hall, Oldham St, Manchester M1 1JQ (venue TBC)
More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1446027882372801/
Sat 8 – Sun 9 Aug: FOE climate organisers training, Green Fish
Over the course of Saturday and Sunday (11am start on Saturday) we’ll be running our unique and successful Climate Organisers training programme. Climate Organisers aims to equip you with the skills to organise your community for action on climate change issues and mobilise for national action ahead of the Paris talks. Sessions to be confirmed but could include:
– Listening to the community: finding out what’s going on in your area, who’s calling the shots and what the local people care most about
– Building community power: bringing people together to make a difference and planning effective campaigns with them
– Facilitating community campaigning: running a group or a campaign in a way which empowers others.
The training is free, but please register in advance so we know how many to expect.
When: 10am – 5.30pm, Saturday 8th & Sunday 9th August
Where: Green Fish Resource Centre, 46-50 Oldham Street. Manchester M4 1LE
More info & booking: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/17479985106