Extraordinary campaigners wanted to protect people and the planet.
We’re looking for several experienced Campaigners to join our team to deliver world-changing campaigns for a just world where people and nature thrive.
As a Campaigner with us you will join one of our hard-hitting teams, working with others to develop and deliver campaign strategies and plans that will deliver real-world change, from stopping fracking and securing the end of coal, to ending the use of bee-harming pesticides, ensuring that Brexit does not rip up environmental protections or stopping the public from breathing in diesel fumes.
We are currently recruiting for three positions with unique needs:
As our Fossil Free campaigner (9 months FTC), you’ll build campaigns in regional areas, identifying key campaign opportunities, skilling up activists, holding rallies and community meetings.
As our Brexit campaigner (9 months FTC), you’ll lead on funded work at a European level as well as providing monitoring and reporting. You’ll also develop relationships across the Friends of the Earth Europe network, providing support to colleagues in influencing their national governments and other key stakeholders
Working with EU governments and stakeholders you’ll ensure environmental protections are not weakened post-Brexit, supporting the delivery of the wider Brexit campaign strategy at the UK level.
Plastics campaigner (1 year FTC)
You’ll work with a range of stakeholders to reduce plastic use in innovative and impactful ways.
For each of these roles, we’re looking for an individual who can demonstrate strategic thinking in developing and delivering campaign strategies – analyzing the situation to identify not just what sort of pressure for change is needed, but precisely where and when it should be applied to achieve our campaign goal. With an understanding of politics and power in the broadest sense, including but not limited to understanding the UK Parliament and using the law to campaign, you’ll be experienced in working with and building coalitions, and be able to engage a broad range of audiences, from existing supporters, to young people, and groups currently under-represented in the environment movement.
Role specific responsibilities
For the Brexit role, you’ll need:
- Experience of working at an EU level (or across several member states) within the European Parliament/Council/Commission, and with civil society and political processes
- An understanding of EU processes and stakeholders, and of routes to influence the Council and Commission, as well as the Parliament
- A good understanding of EU law, particularly pertaining to the environment, and its application in the UK
- To understand trade policy and have experience in communicating and campaigning on trade related issues
For the Fossil Free role, it would be desirable to have:
- A good understanding of fossil fuels and why they are a threat to climate and people
- An understanding of the fossil free and anti-fracking movement
- Experience of developing relationships and actions, and cultivating leadership with a wide range of stakeholders
For the Plastics role, it would be desirable to have:
- Experience working on plastic pollution including working with corporate sector and politicians to reduce plastics use.
In return, we offer a competitive range of benefits, a good work/life balance, excellent learning and development opportunities and a vibrant and friendly organisational culture.
To apply, download our job description and complete our application form telling us how you meet the essential criteria stated in the person specification and press the apply button below.
Diversity and equal opportunities:
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunities employer and we are especially keen to encourage applications from people currently under-represented in the environment movement including: black and minority ethnic people; disabled people; lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people; and woman in senior positions. Do contact us as we really do want you to see how you can become part of the Friends of the Earth team.
Want to apply?
- Read the role profile/job description: JD -Campaigner x3.doc
- Additional document(s):
- Download and complete the application form: Application Form.doc
- Click “apply now” and complete the online form