This below just in from the email account firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions about the funeral etc, please contact them.
Dear family, comrades and friends of Colin
The wake: Following the funeral, we would also like to invite everyone to further celebrate Colin’s life at the Chorlton Irish Club, High Lane, from 2:30pm onwards till close. Disabled access is available.
We would like to request no additional flowers, but instead please donate to Medical Aid for Palestinians. This was a charity Colin supported. You can donate at any time until the end of February: Givey. com / inmemoryofcolinbarker We will also have a bucket collection on the day.
Dress code: please wear whatever’s comfortable, or something in the spirit of Colin; political badge’s and T-shirts are very welcome.
If comrades could bring any banners or placards, we would like to display these outside the crematorium during the funeral. In a way, we would like to siren to Chorlton and the outside world a statement about our Col.
– Please also then bring them to the wake too for inside the function room.
Thank you so very much to everyone who has emailed us, sent cards and posted on facebook their thoughts and memories about Colin. This has been a treasure and meant a great deal to us.
We are collecting photographs, stories and memories of Colin to be printed for display at the wake. We would love to receive more of these to include. If you would like to contribute, please send this email address.
If you would like to speak or read at the wake for a few minutes please let us know in advance, and there will also be an open mic. Also, in the spirit of Dad’s mischievous and sparkling humour; we are pleased Ian Saville, the Marxist magician, (who was due to appear at dad’s 80th birthday this year, which we were planning together with Dad) will be joining us too for a spell.
There will be plentiful tea and coffee and a buffet at the wake of course; Dad brought so many together around the kitchen table, feeding hearts and minds with soup and tasty feasts.
We already know that some people can’t make it on 20th February as they would like. We have been asked if we can record the funeral, particularly for those people. We hope to do that. Please let us know if you need more information about this.
Into the future: There will also be a series of events to remember Colin, to celebrate his life and work.
- 15-17 April – Alternative Futures and Popular Protest conference, Manchester University
- 30 June – Colin’s 80th birthday, in London (venue tbc).
- 7-10 November – Historical Materialism conference, London (All are welcome — those who are not attending the wider conference’s won’t incur the conference fee).
Directions:Funeral: Manchester Crematorium, Barlow Moor Rd, Manchester M21 7GZ
– next to the site of the Southern Cemetery
- By Car: Taking the exit on the M60 at J5, turn towards Central Manchester onto the A5103 (Princess Road). Stay in the left hand lane and take the A5145 signposted Chorlton onto Barlow Moor Road. The Crematorium is located after a half a mile, on the right hand side of the road.
- There is very limited parking available on site, but free parking nearby on streets Hardcastle Ave, Larmuth Ave and Floyd Ave, but possibly limited so give time to find a space.
- By rail/tram: Barlow Moor Road tram stop is located a 7-10 minute walk from the Crematorium. Trams connect to Manchester Piccadilly, and run direct from St Peter’s Square, Deansgate-Castlefield and Cornbrook central Manchester stops. A tram also runs directly to Barlow Moor Road from Manchester Airport.
- By Bus: Manchester Bus Services (23 – Stockport to Trafford Centre and 86 – Manchester, Piccadilly Gardens to Chorlton) both directly serve the Crematorium with regular services.
- By foot: In total, it is just under a mile from the Crematorium so is walkable with identical instructions to driving.
- By Car: From the crematorium, turn right and continue on Barlow Moor Road for three quarters of a mile. Turn left onto High Lane, then take the first left onto Cross Lane, then almost immediately turn right into the Car Park.
- There is ample parking available on site.
- By Bus: Chorlton Bus Station is the closest stop, and is located about 150 meters from the Irish Club. Bus Services 23 and 86 run directly from the Crematorium to this the Bus Station. Turn, right along Barlow Moor Road out of the bus station, then take the first left onto High, Lane and the first left again onto Cross Lane, then turn right into the Car Park. The main entrance to the club is from the car park. There is also a disabled entrance available (this will need to be opened when needed – so please ask when you arrive).
- By tram: Closest stop is Chorlton and is located about 7-8 minute walk. away. From the tram station, turn right onto Wilbraham Road, then turn left onto Barlow Moor Road, turning right after a third of a mile onto High Lane, then take the first left onto Cross Lane, then turn right into the Car Park.