If you know of jobs going in Manchester on environmental projects, please email email@example.com with details. Unless it is for some fake “independent” group funded by Exxon or BP, we will run it.
Environmental and Social Action freelance opportunity
The aim of this project is to create opportunities for young people to develop the skills and knowledge to help them plan and implement a social action project on environmental issues. The aim is to enable young people to work together to deliver action that enhances their understanding of environmental issues within their community and potentially beyond.
The project should:
- Be well-planned and make use of local and global links.
- Engage with issues such as access to political participation, the environment, climate change and community cohesion.
- Be young people led and co-created environmental social action project aiming to engage, enthuse and empower young people to deliver an exciting project.
The project is funded by Groundwork and will involve delivering a 6 month project with a session a week for the duration of the project with approximately 12 young people participating. The expectation is that there will be 4 hours delivery with young people per week plus planning, evaluation, attending meetings etc (on average a further 4 hours per week).
The project will start in May 2019.
What are we looking for?
Lead worker who will coordinate, plan and lead on the project. They will be supported by staff from Levenshulme Youth Project (LYP) and the work will be over seen and directed by the Project Manager.
Skills, knowledge and experience:
- Experience of working with young people (could be a youth worker, teacher or community worker)
- Experience and knowledge of social action and ideally environmental work
- Strong leadership and facilitation skills
- Must be able to plan and evaluate sessions
- Must be flexible and adaptable in their approach to working with young people
- Must have experience of evaluation and outcomes measurement and use of record management systems
- Must be able to lead and direct staff and volunteers
Work with young people should endeavour to:-
- Empower young people to make environmentally conscious choices
- Develop an understanding of Social Action with young people
- Actively encourages young people’s participation in all aspects of planning and evaluation
- Respect the unique nature of the youth work relationship
- Respect diversity of opinion and offers equality of opportunity
- Create opportunities for informal education
- Recognise and celebrates young people’s achievements
- Offers opportunities for recorded and accredited outcomes and certification where appropriate
- Is fun!
Outcomes for young people
- Demonstrate an understanding and awareness of environmental issues
- Demonstrate an understanding of how local issues link to the global big picture
- Make informed environmental choices and demonstrate an understanding of how and why they’ve made those choices
- Feel empowered to develop an environmental project to benefit their centre, project or community
- Understand issues of diversity and equality as they relate to the environment
- Celebrate and evaluate their achievements
- Know how to reduce their carbon footprint
Up to £3800- additional funding for trips and resources etc will be provided by the project and in negotiation with the project manager
Process: please provide a CV including relevant skills, knowledge and experience
Please also provide a draft plan for the project outlining your proposal and approach to this project (the plan should be no longer than 4 sides)
Email Des Oakley (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5pm on May 9th. Interviews on May 15th.