Job Title: People Powered Retrofit: Adviser/Service Manager
Deadline: midday, Tuesday 10th September 2019
Time: 0.8 – 1 FTE (Flexible)
Location: Manchester, UK
Start date: ASAP
Duration: 12 months fixed term contract (with possibility of extension)
How to apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with a CV and maximum two-page letter outlining how you meet the requirements set out below.
Carbon Co-op (https://carbon.coop) is an award-winning and fast growing not-for-profit, social enterprise based in Greater Manchester, UK. We pilot innovative low carbon projects and provide support services to our householder members and the wider community.
We are recruiting for a new member of the Retrofit Team to work on the People Powered Retrofit project. You will be joining a small multi-disciplinary team involved in a variety of projects. The work on People Powered Retrofit requires close collaboration with project partners including architects at project partners URBED.
People Powered Retrofit is funded under the BEIS Retrofit Supply Chain pilot programme and is a unique, community focussed service to assist Greater Manchester owner occupiers in retrofitting and refurbishing their homes to high environmental standards.
The end-to-end service incorporates advice, assessment, design development, specialist investigation, retrofit co-ordination to assist with procurement and QA, and evaluation. It is delivered by Carbon Co-op’s interdisciplinary team and a range of freelance assessors and co-ordinators.
We require a new staff member to act as a Retrofit Advisor for householders and to manage the service delivery aspects of the during the first pilot year of the service. As the service grows the team will grow accordingly.
Carbon Co-op is a self-management workplace. We work within collaborative teams and have no formal hierarchy. Each member of staff has responsibility for their own decisions while also consulting and working with other team members. You will work within the Retrofit Team and on People Powered Retrofit be answerable to the PPR project manager.
New staff members must be comfortable operating within this framework. To find more information about self-management, go to: http://www.reinventingorganizations.com/
We’re an equal opportunity employer and we have flexible working practices. We encourage applications from anyone with suitable skills, no matter their background or ability. If you are interested in this position and feel you have the skills required to contribute to the organisation, then please apply!
Flexible and remote working
We’re looking for someone who can work between 0.8 and 1 FTE. A lot of the team at Carbon Co-op also work between 3 and 5 days a week and we’re flexible around when the work is done (as long as it fits the business need). Please tell us what work commitment you are looking for. This can vary over time if agreed with the rest of the team. Most of the People Powered Retrofit work is Greater Manchester based and so the potential for remote working is limited.
Outline of the role
This role involves two related aspects, an advisor role and a service manager role. The Retrofit Advisor is the first point of contact for householders, setting expectations, signposting and helping orientate clients. The Service Manager aspect ensures smooth progress as householders travel through their customer journey, overseeing the interactions between householders and other team members such as assessors or retrofit co-ordinators.
The below describes the desired essential and desirable characteristics of the applicants we are seeking. Given the dual aspects of the role we understand that some candidates may have some strengths in one area or other.
• Post-16 qualification in a related field
● AECB Carbon Lite Retrofit or Retrofit Coordinator Qualification
● Masters level qualification in sustainable and low-energy building.
ii) Skills and experience
● Knowledge/experience of construction industry, preferably eco/green building
● Can demonstrate experience of creating good quality written content eg blogs, leaflets, online copy etc.
● Can demonstrate clarity in the use of written communications ie email, letters, texts.
● Can demonstrate effective use of aural communication in person and remotely by phone.
● Has experience of managing/coordinating jobs roster/carrying out traffic management
● Account management experience
● Experience of performance monitoring and evaluation of buildings and customer satisfaction in a construction industry setting
● Sales experience, preferably in a consultancy context (eg lead generation)
● Experience of setting up new client orientated systems and processes
ii) Person specification
● Ability to communicate complex technical concepts in an understandable and engaging way to lay people
● Able to manage client expectations at an early stage
● Excellent people skills
● Ability to talk confidently to other project stakeholders eg householders, contractors, planners, architects, engineers, building control officers etc
● Ability to communicate sensitively, including conflict management and resolution
● An excellent problem solver able to think around issues and devise simple solutions
● Highly organised
● Ability to manage time and financial budgets
● Can demonstrate ability to deliver clear, consistent and regular communications without being prompted
● Understanding of when to seek clarification from other colleagues or experts.
● Takes a considered and proportionate approach to risk.
● Is able to work independently
● Comfortable taking part in knowledge exchange and group learning exercises
● Can critically reflect on projects and participate openly and honestly in project debriefs and take on board constructive criticism from colleagues.
Legal right to work
By the time you commence your employment you must have a legal right to work in the UK.
For more information
Contact: Jonathan Atkinson, email@example.com