The latest MCFly is now a week old. “Fishwrap”, for you non-vegetarians…
The next post on MCFly is *extra-ordinary*, by the way (and no, we didn’t write it…)
Tonight’s third and final film in the “Climates of Hope, Climates of Despair” film series is “Mindwalk”. It’s at 6pm, room E145 of the John Dalton Building of MMU (you get in via the entrance on Chester St). All to be followed by conversations at a nearby pub (the Sandbar). Details here.
Finally, you might consider signing this petition to get EDF to drop their chilling threat to sue 21 activists who occupied a (not-yet-in-use) power station last year.
Arwa Aburawa and Marc Hudson
Coming up this week
Mon 11th, 6pm Free showing of the eco-philosophy (but exciting!) film “Mindwalk” (John Dalton Building, Chester St entrance) Rm E1.45
Monday 11, 8pm First Prestwich Green Drinks (cf greendrinks.org/Start ) Church Inn. Look for Green Drinks sign. All welcome.
Tues 12th from 4.45pm – 6.45pm Final Mersey Valley ”consultation” meeting at St Barnabus Hall, Hardy Lane – save the warden service !!!! and please complete the petition http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/save-the-mersey-valley-countryside-warden-service/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=system&utm_campaign=Send%2Bto%2BFriend
Tuesday 12th 5.30pm Cycling Forum at Manchester Town Hall, Albert Square.
Tues 12, 6.45pm to 9pm Manchester Friends of the Earth Full Group Meeting, Greenfish Resource Centre, Oldham St. http://manchesterfoe.org.uk/
Weds 13, 7.30 to 9.30pm Chasing Ice documentary showing
Moston Small Cinema at Miners Community Centre
Cost:£3.00 / £1.00 (Moston locals!)
Thursday 14th 5.30 – 8.30 pm North West Sustainable Business Quarterly
CHARLIE BROWNE, SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER, IKEA, UK.
PETER JONES, OBE, CHAIRMAN, ECOLATERAL
Bruntwood, City Tower, Piccadilly Plaza, Manchester, M1 4BT
Thu 14th 7pm to 8.30pm Manchester Friends of the Earth climate campaign meeting,
The climate campaign meeting will continue our preparations for the public meeting in Cheadle Hulme on Friday 22 March. As well as planning next steps on the Clean British Energy campaign and our local campaign to engage businesses with Manchester’s climate change plan, A Certain Future. If you’d like to join us, please text Ali on 07786 090520 so we know to expect you. Green Fish Resource Centre, 46-50 Oldham St, Manchester M4 1LE
Thurs 14th March 7.30pm, “Brains”! Bright Club, Nexus Cafe, Dale St. Manchester Climate Monthly co-editor Marc Hudson will be doing a humiliating 8 minute stand-up routine on brains, evolution and, or course, climate change.
Friday 15th March Green Economy, Green Jobs What do we mean by a Green economy? How can we build an economy for a steady state, no growth future? Speakers and debate with Natalie Bennett, Leader of the Green Party, and Neil McInroy, chief executive, Centre for Local Economic Strategies. Friends Meeting House, 6 Mount St
Stories you may have missed on the MCFly website
- Book Review: The Goldilocks Planet “the four billion year story of earth’s #climate
- Upcoming Event: “#Despite The Cuts: Engaging People, Engaging Places.” #Manchester Thurs 21 March, free…
- Event Report: International Women’s Day Awards Ceremony #Manchester #IWD #off-topicish
- You are my sunshine, my only sunshine… grant #Trafford #solar panels Quiz 27th March
- Newsflash: Didsbury Dinners founder wins #Manchester “Woman and the environment” award at International Women’s Day awards
- Off-topic: Of Hugo Chavez, sky-scrapers and #polarbearfacepalm #manchester #climate
- #Climate Local? It better not be deja vu all over again… #Manchester promises…
- It’s what they DON’T say that matters #94. Missing #Manchester #climate goal on #MCC website.
- Volunteer opportunity: Help grow organic #food for#Manchester 14th and 21st March @kindlingtrust
- That “Stakeholder” “Conference” – a third account #Manchester #climate #macf2013
- Upcoming Event (and volunteers needed!!) Thu 7- Sat 9 March: Carbon Active!, #Manchester Arndale @Cooler_Projects
- PMT # 10: Please publicise new #Manchester #climate Monthly, and critique it
- That “Stakeholder” “Conference” – another attendee’s report #Manchester #climate #acertainfuture
- Beacons: short stories and #climate. Launched in #Manchester on Thurs 7th March.
- That “Stakeholder” “Conference” – first report #manchester #climate #acertainfuture #acretinfuture
“Aviation experts from Manchester have called for fuel costs to go up to tackle emissions” (MEN Thurs 7th March) [See original press release here]
Stagecoach announce a cut in their buses emissions thanks to a “high-tech fuel additive” (MEN Fri 8th March) [see original press release here]
Things to read while the algae grows on your fur
Arwa Aburawa gets cycling.